Six Steps to Preparing for the Big Move
Suzy’s Helping Hands executes a multi-step approach to downsizing and moving clients to a new residence, one that has worked with success time and time again. Suzy’s staff works with a network of 25 affiliate partners on the following even before the move begins:
- Consult with homeowners to determine what items they want to take with them and what will fit well with their new home’s décor and measurements
- Decide what clothing, jewelry and valuables, and home furniture and other accessories will be distributed to family members, sold at resale stores or through auction houses, and donated to non-profit charities
- Help homeowners professionally package and ship items to relatives living far away
- Work with auction houses such as Auction Ohio or Garth’s Auctioneers and other partner appraisers to access the value of particular items and get the best price for them
- Identify clothing and household items that are clean and free of holes and stains as well as household furniture and appliances that are sturdy and in good working order that can be donated. Suzy’s Helping Hands works closely with Goodwill Industries, but clients often have another organization or charity they want to give to. Downsizers should consider their favorite charity when making the decision to donate items.
- Have professional haulers and junk removers dispose of items that should be thrown away, such as old mattresses or damaged goods. Suzy’s also works with Royal Document Destruction, which provides mobile shredding and computer and hard-drive destruction.
Cleaning and staging a home to prepare it for sale is the next step.